Friday, December 9, 2011

The holidays are upon us

The moment the tree colors change and the summer temperatures slowly drift away, retail shops are suddenly bombarded with aisles and aisles of the glitz and glamour of the Holiday season. I refused to partake on this celebration until every bite of my pumpkin pie seized to exist. I just couldn't allow myself to skip my Autumn decor because I love the colors of the fall. Lately the color orange has had a special place in my heart and I was sad to see it go. After surviving the chaos known as Black Friday, I was ready to join others in the Holiday Spirit. Partaking in the new "green-living," I choose to recycle my past decorations and collaborate them  to create a teal and red Christmas. Due to my new found obsession with Pinterest, I have been inspired with DIY projects and decided to create custom pillows. I volunteered my good friend Mark to share his seamstress skills and teach me how to use my sewing machine. Since my last unsuccessful encounter with the needle, I felt the need to include supervision this go around. "A good teacher is like a candle - it consumes itself to light the way for others," someone one said, and Mark could easily quit his day job and teach sewing for a living as far as I'm concerned. I was extremely proud of our hard work and finally learned how to utilize the benefits from owning a sewing machine. Our pillows were beautiful if I do say so myself, and the Christmas spirit was quickly exploding out of my system once they were complete. 




The mantle is the centerpiece of my Christmas decor and it was a better time then any to focus my attention on the look and feel my blue and red holiday would bring. I attempted many different looks and nothing was adequately living up to my expectations and the ornamentation just wasn't what I envisioned. I decided to take a break from the mantle and focus on some fun DIY projects to regenerate my decorating spirits. Blue Cricket Deisgn has a great tutorial on making Christmas Paper Mache Ornaments, but I decide to use my existing ones because I had a pile of 5 storage bins staring me in the face. The clock ticked away as 3am reared its ugly head, and I realized after 8 hours of decorating I had nothing to show. Luckily my framed ornament was just the inspiration I needed to complete the task.




As soon as I completed the ornament wreath, everything started falling into place. Location, location, location! I discovered that my initial plan to place my new wreath above the mirror just wasn't as attractive as I had imagined. Placement seems to be very important when decorating a mantle because one thing out of place and it throws off the entire look. Finally by the time the sun began to rise I had completed the mantle and finished my Christmas decorations. The Tirado Family has officially joined the Holiday celebration, tree and all.





1 comment:

  1. I love it!! Now you can teach me to use a sewing machine. :) Your house always looks so pretty and well put together. I wish I was as creative as you!

    ReplyDelete